Ohio Works First
Ohio Works First was established to provide time-limited cash assistance to eligible families through Ohio's Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program which emphasizes employment, personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. Applications are completed and processed at county departments of job and family services. Cash assistance is provided to eligible families for up to 36 months. For child-only cases, there are no time-limits for cash assistance.
In order to be eligible for OWF, a household must include the following:
- A minor child or a pregnant woman at least 6 months pregnant
- A child residing with a parent, specified relative, legal guardian or legal custodian
- Unmarried minor parents and pregnant minors must be in an approved adult-supervised living arrangement
Adults and minor heads-of-household who apply for or receive benefits must sign a self-sufficiency contract and may be required to participate in a work activity to receive OWF. Failure to comply with the contract without good cause, can result in sanctions affecting the entire family.
You can file an application:
- in person at our agency during regular business hours
- by mailing or faxing a completed application
What to bring to your appointment:
- Proof of the last 30 days of income for everyone in your home to include pay stubs, child support, SSI, Social Security, etc.
- Social Security Cards
- Birth Certificates
We are required to determine eligibility within 30 days of your application.